Anyone else see the Z50 as a credible travel side kick to the Z6/7?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoeGuide Regular Member • Posts: 118
Anyone else see the Z50 as a credible travel side kick to the Z6/7?

I love travel photography but hate the weight of full frame gear, especially with the ever stringent air travel restrictions. As much as I enjoy the Z6, I find it is still too bulky for international travel.  Used Lumix LX5 (inadequate low light performance), RX100iii (very slow start up and barely adequate low light performance), Fujifilm X100f (soapy ergonomics, personally didn't like X-trans sensor output), Lumix GX85 (almost adequate low light performance, rolling rolling rolling shutter) and now Sony A6400.

Matched with Sony pancake 20 mm and the very good Sigma APSC lenses, the A6400 is the closest thing that meets my needs. Still, the menu is a mess, camera can be incapacitated with just a slight be of moisture in the hotshoe, and suffers from rolling shutter. The biggest problem is that the unpleasant ergonomics. I bought a SmallRig L-bracket with attached wood grip extensions which really makes the camera enjoyable to use. As it turns out, the Z50 is probably not much bigger than the A6400 with SmallRig L bracket.

The Z50 is marketed as a consumer camera, but it has magnesium body, twin controls, weatherproofing, low rolling shutter (at least by spec info).  Dispensing with the kit lenses, compact normal and wide prime on this body would be perfect for travel.  If Nikon never gets around to making a dedicated prime, I may be able to still use the Sony lens with Techart TZE-01 adapter.  I also expect Sigma to convert the ever popular and excellent f1.4 16 mm, 30 mm and 56 mm to Z mount.

Anyone else see the potential here?

JoeGuide's gear list:JoeGuide's gear list
Nikon Z6 Sony a6400 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X100F Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow