So how good is the 90D video?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
G Dickson Contributing Member • Posts: 659
So how good is the 90D video?

For many reasons the 90D would be a great addition to my 6Dii. My old 1Div has been a great tool for me, but the weight and bulk and lack of resolution is a thing. The 6Dii (while not up to say BIF type tracking as well as the 1Div) has been my constant body choice for the last 6 months. I used to own a 7D which was replaced by a the used 1Div as I shoot a lot of wildlife.

The 10fps and crop factor and resolution are very enticing. Increasingly I use my cameras for video though and there the 6Dii (not to mention the 1Div) just doesn't cut the mustard. The 6dii video is really not that great at all. My little em10ii actually beats it hands down - but no mic port and the poor AF means that I hardly use the olympus for video.

So the 90D has a lot going for it:

- DPAF in 4K

- headphone jack

- No crop 4K (although as I have quite a bit of wider glass a crop is not that big a deal to me if it means getting GOOD quality).

- Canon digital IS is actually pretty good. My 16-35 f4 IS and digital IS provides pretty smooth footage.

-1080 at 120fps. I can live with no AF I think.

I am a big fan of the tilty flippy screen, and while I like an EVF for certain reasons, for wildlife it is just not for me.  So the 90D sounds like it might be right up my street!

The video frustrations have made me even contemplate going more into m4/3, but I really don't want to as my m4/3 kit is my small and cheap travel kit and must stay that way. If Canon can deliver good video and also give me a crop body that can perform really well for wildlife then I am really intrigued. My 6Dii gives me the wide & low light stuff and the 90D woudl give me reach and video. I realise the AF servo performance of the 90D is not up to 7dII standards (or even 1D mkIv), but if it is equal to or better than the 6dII then I can live with that.

So bottom line I would like to hear from users experience with regard to the video quality if possible. The lack of All-I is a concern. I am not talking about commercial production work, but I do want decent quality 1080 and 4K. The 6Dii frankly is just not that good.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon 6D Mark II +12 more
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow