Sony newbie seeking lens advice

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Colin Franks
Colin Franks Senior Member • Posts: 1,711
Sony newbie seeking lens advice

I recently abandoned Canon and Nikon for Sony (a9), and am assessing the landscape of new lenses.

Now, while I mostly (90%) shoot birds, the 200-600 is obviously my main lens. But I also like to shoot other things as well. The Sony GM lenses are great, but too expensive for the little use I would have for them. I was thinking that a good way to go would be to purchase the Tamron 17-28, 28-75, and upcoming 70-180 f/2.8 lenses. I always loved my 70-200 f/2.8 lenses.

But, I also owned the Canon 50mm f/1.2 lens for a few years, and got infected with its magic. Watching this video has me wondering if I might be happier with three different fast primes instead of the 2.8 zooms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnVPnacGsLc

I am unfamiliar with the whole Sony line-up, so would greatly appreciate the insight that you seasoned Sony veterans might be able to offer. Obviously this might include both native Sony lenses, as well as adapted lenses, but I would like to come to some clarity on a different option of a trinity of useful fast lenses that don’t cost a fortune. I sense that a fast 85mm would be a candidate.

Perhaps it would be a mix of one or two fast primes with one or two of the Tamron zooms mentioned, or do you feel that the all-Tamron approach is actually the best, given its versatility?

I look forward to your sage advice.

Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Sony a9 Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow