Which would have better IQ - the 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 on a FF body, or the 11-22mm on an M body?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
biggles266 Senior Member • Posts: 1,173
Which would have better IQ - the 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 on a FF body, or the 11-22mm on an M body?

Hi, I'm doing a review of my camera gear moving forward, weighing up which of the different Canon systems to focus on. I rarely shoot UWA, but like to have it covered in case I do want it. I also would like it to only be a lightweight and inexpensive part of my kit, so $$ and weight are factors.

Which would provide better overall image quality (considering detail, sharpness, aberrations) between the well-regarded 11-22mm lens on a Canon M50, or the old but quite decent 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 on a 6D/RP body? Has anyone happened to have compared these two directly?

From the research I have done so far, the 11-22mm lens is probably the better of the two lenses, particularly in the corners, but it's only on a crop sensor whereas the older 20-35mm lens gets the advantage of being on FF. So I thought it would be a pretty even match. Both lenses fulfill my criteria of being light and inexpensive, so they are pretty evenly matched there too.

Thanks for your input.

biggles266's gear list:biggles266's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +17 more
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow