Not Bad

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
BoredErica
BoredErica Junior Member • Posts: 40
Not Bad

It's not too bad for a kit lens if you like shooting at 25-35mm but want the flexibility of being able to go for 16mm or 50mm if you have to, while being cheap and small. At 25-35mm at around f5.6-f8 the image quality at the center is not far off from Sigma 56mm or 30mm DC DN f1.4 at f8. It loses a bit in corners.

But if you go to 16mm or 50mm and try to shoot as open as possible, the corners are very, very bad. I didn't do as much testing at 16mm, but at 50mm the entire image is pretty soft at f5.6. But there is a big improvement going to 50mm f8, though even then it's not as good as the Sigma 56mm. (I actually had to reshoot my test shot at 50mm f5.6 because it was so much worse, I was worried I messed up the test.) My understanding is the lens is weaker at 16mm compared to 50mm.

For pseudo-macro, the magnification of about x0.3 is about twice as good as the Sigma primes. At f8 with all "macro" shots zoomed in, the kit lens beats the sharper Sigma lenses at the center, but loses quite badly as soon as you deviate from the center a bit.

Focusing is good. No lens hood possible, I guess?

Anyways, if you like shooting 25mm-35mm around f5.6-f8 you're actually going to pretty satisfied with this lens. Just don't venture away from those focal lengths too often because there be demons.

(Obviously, if you have to shoot so closed down, you're going to lose a lot of light. That means some obvious things, like video being tough to shoot without a lot of light.)

-- hide signature --

It's just photography. Let's not take ourselves too seriously.

BoredErica's gear list:BoredErica's gear list
Sony a5100 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Wideangle zoom lens • Sony E • SELP1650
Announced: Sep 12, 2012
BoredErica's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow