What are your thoughts on this lens...

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
KPM2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,047
Re: What are your thoughts on this lens...

Hello Massao

Massao wrote:

KPM2 wrote:

Hello TomWret

TomWret wrote:

Thanks again to all, I think I'm going to pop for the plastic 50mm DA 1.8 for $96.00 new.

Tom W

This lens is for sure good on your KP, but on your K1 ?

The lens do cover the FF circle, but I never saw a compare of the boarders with one of the real FF lens. Do it get a nervous look at the boarders on FF ? How do the vignetting look's like on FF ?

If you will not spend much money, try to find a used FA 50mm f 1.7. That is a very good lens and made for FF.

best regards. KPM2

Good point KPM2. Additionally, I think the bokeh would be better on FA 50mm f/1.7. I don't have K1 or FA 50mm f/1.7 so can't compare, but the bokeh on Pentax-M 50mm at f/1.7 is far better than DA 50mm's bokeh at f/1.8. It is noticeably better. However, I still use DA 50mm f/1.8 more because it has AF.

I wonder about another aspect: Does FA 50mm f/1.7 has the modern coatings as DA 50mm f/1.8? That will have a significant impact on image quality in bright sunny days...

I don't think the DA has a modern HD coating. I think the DA has a additional SP coating for the front lens. All lens (both FA and the DA) have the SMC coating. The SP coating is a good protecting (and for easy cleaning) for dust, water, and finger prints.

The DA is the only one, which has rounded aperture blades.

I think all lens will benefits when you use a lens hood. I do that with my FA 50mm f1.4 and my old M 50mm f1.7.

best regards. KPM2

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow