Catalina anyone?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
G1 User Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: Catalina anyone? Photos Bug

I was excited having dark mode for Catalina and found I lost the ability to view all my photos. The Photos selection off the Library tab is missing on the selection side bar! Tried it on my old Photos database and on a new database under a new user. My only solution was to make a new smart album with the filter to select all not hidden. But viewing in albums, you lose the other viewing options under Photos, in particularly, the grouping of "Years" / dates. It's such a big bug, I know it should be resolved relatively quickly.

Photos selection under Library is missing

The one big caution moving to Catalina, is to double check to see if all your programs are compatible with Catalina. I've lost quite a number of old software which the software company is not supporting it or it requires repurchase, sometimes at a large expense.

i strongly suggest you install Catalina on a different hard drive and then migrate you computer settings/users/applications over to it and test it out.

So far, so good otherwise. My system is still scanning my drive including rebuilding faces from 57,000 photos and is still a little slow. Even still, the one thing I insist on using Photos for my family use, is ability to scroll through 57,000 photos's thumbnail at different sizes quickly on my MacBook has the Photos database on an extern USB 2 SSD, (its an old MacBook for my test.)

Its amazing, although it is slow, I'm still using my old Macs as old as my 2008 MacBook (using DosDudes Catalina Patcher.) I've been on hold waiting for a new MacPro.

I always retain my old system image and dual boot over to a prior OS if I need to use the older apps. If/when I update my MacPro to the new one, I will retain my old system to use it as a server and/or run my older apps.

Al

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow