What are your thoughts on this lens...

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,307
Re: What are your thoughts on this lens...

Holger Bargen wrote:

TomWret wrote:

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens Standard AF Lens #20817 as an affordable option when I can't really afford the 1.4 super expensive lens? Right now it's under $350.

Thanks, Tom W

I have the f 1.7 version of this lens. It became my standard if I use 50 mm and I am pretty satisfied with the results from it.

If you look here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-Lenses-c30.html

the 1.7 version gets better ratings compared to the f 1.4 model. But I could imagine that this has to do with the performance wide open which may not be optimal. But I could imagine that you are pretty satisfied with that lens. The f 1.7 can only be bought as used.

Hi Holger,

Good points there. I was about to buy the 1.4 version a while back, and then stopped only after checking the ratings on PF. It would be very helpful if someone with both versions could post some comparison pictures at f/1.7. If they perform equally at f/1.7 then I see no reason of not buying the 1.4 version, since it is available new.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Pentax K-x Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Sony SLT-A58 +51 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow