What's your take on photo filters?

Started Oct 10, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DanLbk Regular Member • Posts: 246
What's your take on photo filters?

I'm talking about filters that are applied to photos in editing software, not filters that you physically attach to a camera lens. Fujifilm calls them Film Simulation. I use Capture One, which calls them styles. I don't know what Lightroom calls them.

I'm presenting three options to frame the conversation but you don't have to stick with them: (1) you don't use filters because you want to preserve what you saw in real life, which is not purely objective, but pretty close, (2) you use filters sparingly to enhance some photos, or (3) you use filters consistently to maintain a certain aesthetic signature as a photographer even if doing so significantly alters the original picture.

I love filters but sometimes I feel bad about using them because the image does get significantly altered. For example, I capture a picture of a normal bright sunny day but I can apply a filter to make it look a lot warmer than it actually was, which I like better but it is now misrepresenting reality. There's no right or wrong answer but I like to get other people's opinions on it.

Of course, you don't need to use filters to significantly alter photos. You can manipulate individual settings, but the issue is the same.

-- hide signature --

Daniel
X-T2 enthusiast

DanLbk's gear list:DanLbk's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow