Small buffer on 90D?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,715
Small buffer on 90D?

I’ve been using the 90D for almost a week now and have been a little surprised about the buffer performance and wonder if I might be missing something. With my old 80D, 7D and 7D mk2 when I shoot in jpeg only (I typically use the faithful picture style in its default form) I have never had any problems with the buffer filling up. However, with the 90D I find I am running into a full buffer/drastic frame rate slow down quite frequently.

At first, I thought it might be that my older cards are just too slow for the larger files so I went ahead and bought a new Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-II 300MB/s card. It helps slightly but the buffer still fills up very quickly and doesn’t empty terribly fast. It is a much less pleasant experience that I have had with the other cameras listed.

I tried turning off NR and the various lens aberration corrections, the cards have all been formatted in the 90D but performance still lags way behind what I was getting with the old 80D.

Is anyone else experiencing this? If this is how the 90D is supposed to perform I have to say it is rather disappointing that Canon has taken a step backward in this area. I love the image quality but the small buffer reminds me of my old 10D days.

A couple of examples from today were an osprey flying past. After about 3 seconds of shooting during the close approach and the camera pauses and then erratic sputters of one or two shots… Same happened with a Belted Kingfisher that was hovering in front of me. After about 3 seconds at 10FPS then sputter sputter sputter.

Thanks for your input.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow