As promised, a few tests of A7R IV focusing

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,008
As promised, a few tests of A7R IV focusing

I'm going to gradually add a few photos that I did for my own testing. I shot it under several conditions that the camera might experience difficulties. There's a lot to do so, I'm going to incrementally add as I get them out.

TL;DR version here: A7R IV did not exhibit any issues I had noticed with pre-production. It did not require any special attention to hand holding or stability technique over what is normally required for a high-res camera (e.g. A7R III). It did not display any consistent focusing errors. In my subjective testing, it still appears that the A7 III has a higher hit accuracy under many conditions. There have been many discussions on special settings required for the camera to focus accurately - ranging from AF priority modes to video settings. While I can't speak for any other copy, no changes were required whatsoever for the AF to work fine on my A7RIV. I shoot AF-C, Balanced Priority, Eye-AF wide focus area, and did not touch anything else.

The camera no longer displays the strange artifacts that occurred during the Adobe beta raw era. However, noise is still visibly present starting at around ISO 320-ish. File sizes are difficult for me to manage on my computer, but if your computer is powerful enough, perhaps you won't have an issue. I would not consider these to be huge issues, but to be aware of them. This camera appears more to complement the A7 III than to replace it.

So without further ado, here is the first stress test, probably the hardest one of the bunch. Metabones V + Canon 200/2L. This lens is not certified for adaptation to E mount, and this was shot under dual constant fluorescent lamps, so this is about as tough a test as it can get. Still you can see from the shot that it did okay. That being said, I do not recommend this setup - the combo hunts terribly (as to be expected since this was what has been reported of this lens). Still, this is the worst of it so it does get better. Hit rate was about 60% on a static (but not immobile) subject. SOOC no editing. 1/250s, f/2, iso 200.

First test - A7RIV, metabones V, Canon 200/2. Hand held, eye-af, wide AF area, constant light. SOOC, no editing. 1/250;f2;iso 200

Sony a7 III Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow