Stylus 1, 1s Setup Suggestions *** Revised 10-7-19 ***

Started Oct 7, 2019 | Discussions thread
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 18,144
Re: Thanks for sending this * Revised 10-7-19 ***

Oh yeah, I just remembered another big motivation to share my setup suggestions.

rx100m1, new, the revolutionary pocket-able 1" sensor, came out just prior to people taking expensive vacations in 2012. Sony had achieved a new level of miniaturization ande lens/sensor synergy. It took over 2 years for any other company to have a competing model.

Many came back with blurry photos from their high IQ expensive 'point and shoot'.

What a shame. It turned out, the IS of the m1 SUCKS (if it exists at all). It defaults to 1/30th and I and many people couldn't hold the slippery little devil still handheld. I had to default to S mode to start 1/60th for stills.

I hated seeing so many people having such an amazing camera in their hands and unable to use it. So, out came my rx100m1 setup suggestions emphasizing using S mode.

Later, I got the m3 which I shoot 1/30th as my default speed, so I can use any mode with it, and, then the rx100m6 provides more aggressive IS, I shoot 1/20th default handheld if I want.

I am always thankful rx100m1 forced me to learn S mode. After a short while you get a sense of needed shutter speeds, and having 4 grand kids/nephews, S mode it needed. I'm a big believer in 'just fast enough', to keep ISO low. I find Sports scene modes shoot too fast most often.

Stylus 1 is my choice for kids sports, I try rhe rx100m6 in good light, but the Stylus 1 EVF, weight, balance, fast zoom, instant 2X, conversion lens, it puts many cameras to shame.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow