Choosing a Prime... for Pet Shots

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Barboots Junior Member • Posts: 27
Choosing a Prime... for Pet Shots

Noob Warning

I have been routinely disappointed with the photos I'm taking of our small dog. Even with higher ISOs, it's hard to avoid blur when trying to capture this fidgety and disinterested subject. Many times, I'd like to catch her on the move anyway.

You can see from my equipment list that all my stuff is kit level or thereabouts, and as such I've been thinking about treating myself to a Prime. Hopefully nothing too expensive, just something that will let as much light through as possible. My dilemma is choosing from the decent range available, particularly the focal length. So without wanting to start a battle about what's "best"... and considering my usage case... what's best?

- I looked through some doggo images I'd been shooting recently, and realised that I was getting better results from a distance. The dog pays less attention to me, and it's a bit easier to pan around following her movement. It seemed that I was shooting a lot between 50 and 100mm.
- I have a suspicion that the longer the lens, the less I would probably use it for anything else. I suppose i can stitch shots in post.
- As an amateur, I'm a bit reliant on autofocus still, so speed of that is another consideration given the narrow depth I will end up with shooting wide open.

Given I have had buyer's remorse with second hand gear, my current thought is a new Sigma 56mm f/1.4 DC DN, which I can get for AU$480. For comparison, a new Olly 45mm f1.8 would be around AU$240.
I'm interested to hear other's thoughts following on from my ramble, both on the topic of lens selection, and also about methods for taking great photos of pets in action.

Cheers, Steve

Barboots's gear list:Barboots's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow