Is there a need for F1.4 lenses....

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,811
there a need for lenses wide open for me

fferreres wrote:

waldoh wrote:

It’s pretty simple to void the majority of these arguments, just take price out of the equation.

If two lenses were the exact same price, one f1.4, one f1.8 with the f1.4 being optically superior, larger and heavier, which would you buy?

If you can honestly answer you would still take the f1.8 for weight/size savings with a trade off of IQ, then you should buy the f1.8. If not, stop lying to yourself and trying to get internet opinions “validating” your decision.

In my experience that's no the best way to test it, because most would think f1.4 also include f1.8 and I can carry a little more weigth. The best one is to give them both for a year, and have an app register how many times each lens is used and at what apertures.

In my case, I have many fast lenses, not f0.95 but f1.4 version from 28 to 85 and f2 to 135. And the ones that get 95% of the use are the (high quality, premium) slower versions, usually f2 to f2.8.

It depends on the photographer - or course!

• ZA 50 f/1.4 => 26 % wide open - 69 % f/1.6 .. f/5.6 and the rest above f/5.6
  • GM 85 f/1.4 => 53 % wide open - 37 % f/1.6 .. f/5.6 and the rest above f/5.6
  • GM 135 f/1.8 => 30 % wide open - 17 % f/2.0 .. f/5.6 and the rest above f/5.6

I use the 50 mm prime most of the time at f/1.6 because the bokeh is smoothest at this setting f/1.4 and f/1.6 are of my images with the ZA 50

The GM 24 is next on my list and it will probably be used 50 % of the time wide open - for f/8 I will continue to use my G 12 .. 24 - which is super sharp at this setting.

Horses for courses!!

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow