Is there a need for F1.4 lenses....

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 2,310
Re: DOF for the photographer or the client?

Luis Gabriel Photography wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

Philnw2 wrote:

There is an interesting figure in the article showing bokeh from an f1.8 lens to an f1.4 lens, and the f1.4 lens is superior

One interesting moment that is not mentioned, is that customers rarely want these extreme shallow dof portraits, with one eye sharp, the other a bit blurry, and the nose tip out of focus.

I don't understand why is it that so many people the first thing they think about when talking about fast lenses is having one eye in focus look...while many of my clients like that very "dramatic" look of just the eyes in focus, for me the most useful part of fast glass is when doing half or full body shots while allowing me to make the subject pop out of the background when desired.

Totally agree. I often do group shots of 10 or more people wide open, as is provides a pop that separates the group from the background, and you can't get that with slower lenses.

So from a professional point of view, the answer is: How much very low light handheld photography are you doing, where the lens brightness comes as a rescue?

Depends on what that "professional" is doing..there are all sorts of professional work styles.

These bright aperture settings is mostly for photographers who want to impress other photographers, from a technical aspect, since most are not much aware of what a photographic representation is and how we communicate with photographs.

This is just simply absurd and shows a lack of knowledge about what other photographer's needs may be. YOUR needs are not the needs of everyone else nor is your style the only one valid.

Just because for YOU, fast glass is not needed or desired does not mean that people that buy fast lenses do so just to impress other photographers. Such a statement is not only silly but rather insulting to other professionals.

Well said. I understand why some folks prioritize cost and weight, but I prioritize ultimate image quality wide open.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a9 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow