Your Nikon RAW NEF Work Flow ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Horoscope Fish
Horoscope Fish Contributing Member • Posts: 913
Re: Your Nikon RAW NEF Work Flow ?

chrisD46 wrote:

Perhaps I should have said : For Nikon NEF RAW what is your software of choice for global edits -> then what is your software choice for local edits ?

It's not easy for me to distinguish between purely global edits and purely local edits because for me there's just one continuous flow between Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), Photoshop and, say for instance, NIK... I'm masking, I'm layering, I'm using brushes and Control Points... It's all a process and precisely where a "local" edit goes "global", or vice-versa, gets blurred in the process. I'm not trying to dodge your question, that's just how I work when I'm editing.

Some people will tell you Capture NX-D does a better job with the initial raw conversion but I've tried NX-D, as well as some other raw converters, and I don't see any (practical) difference, personally. NX-D does support some of Nikon's proprietary, in-camera settings that other raw converters do not, so if that matters to you NX-D might be the way to go. Personally I find NX-D limited, awkward to use and relatively unstable; but that's me. I still suggest you download it, give it a whirl and decide for yourself.

*It is my understanding that Nikon NEF RAW files can be difficult to get good RAW edits from unless the right software is used ?

This has not been my experience at all. I don't think getting good edits out of a .NEF is any more difficult than getting good edits from any other raw format. And as for Adobe, whether you love 'em or hate 'em, their software IS an industry standard.

Horoscope Fish's gear list:Horoscope Fish's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow