Is there a need for F1.4 lenses....

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,962
Re: Is there a need for F1.4 lenses....

SilvanBromide wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

"Need" in the context of four to five figure camera kits for hobbyists is a very dubious concept.

First, there's no basis to assume that this discussion applies only (or even primarily) to hobbyists. This is an open forum.

You would have a point here if I said that. I qualified my statement in the context of what I view to be the typical DPR poster. But there's no basis to assume anything about the OP's intended audience or context.

Second, there is a fallacy in talking about need as an absolute - and this is a prime example of it. It is actually a pretty standard (but weak) rhetorical maneuver.

Clearly, one doesn't "need" most things in any absolute sense, so your proposition *sounds* like a truism - except that nobody was arguing that in the first place, so you've knocked down a straw man.

There are no fallacies or strawmen here. Words have meaning and the meaning of need is pretty clear. In a broad "Maslov's Hierarchy Of Needs" or in a strictly photographic context I haven't heard or seen any legitimate needs for an F/1.4 lens. There are photographic needs but I don't think super fast glass is one of them.

It's pretty obvious that "need" in a discussion of this sort is relative-to-object. Fine, you don't need an ƒ1.4 lens (or any lens) in an absolute sense.

Then what exactly are we talking about? Seems like you want to agree with me but won't allow yourself to admit it.

But you might need it in order to take certain photos in certain conditions, or to achieve focus in low light or to get the bokeh look you prefer, etc.

So in other words, you want it. Which is fine, but shouldn't be confused with needing it. I sincerely doubt the difference between F/1.4 and F/1.8 will make a tangible difference in AF, subject isolation or any other photographic parameter. I'd wager most folks would be hard pressed to tell the difference between that 2/3 stop.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow