Is there a need for F1.4 lenses....

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
lawny13 Senior Member • Posts: 2,042
Re: Clear Need...

XeroJay wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

XeroJay wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

Though the article talked a lot about IQ, bokeh and such it didn't touch on AF performance at all.

A f1.2 lens will simply focus better than a f2.8 lens in dim lighting. If you find yourself in low light situations that your system struggles in terms of AF, then a faster lens will really make that difference.

That's actually not true for DSLRs, which have AF systems that are usually limited to 2.8.

Really? You telling me that the 5DIV for example will focus at f2.8 instead of f1.8 with a f1.8 prime?

In PDAF, yes. That's correct. With dual pixel live view though, it will use The 1.8.

Generally my comment on more light better AF stems from my experience with sony cameras. The difference between shooting focusing at f4 vs f2.8 is noticable. Same from f2.8 to f1.8. So I am sure it is also noticeable between f1.8 and f1.2. It can mean the difference between not bothering to take out the camera since you know it will be a battle, or taking it out for the shot.

Additionally he said it himself. More light in dim lighting is where the need arises. I find myself shooting at ISO 12800 way more than i would like to even with a f1.8 lens mounted. And that is because I shoot people a lot. So stabilization is not the solution.
An f1.2 lens will give you one stop gain on ISO, and that definitely makes a difference in the higher ISO reason.
So IMHO... the same practical advice should be given to all. What are you shooting, what is your lighting situation like, do you make money with your photography, or does your photography and IQ have certain value to you? Evaluate those and then make a decision.
For example, and event shooter, shooting a lot at night, dim lighting etc, can most definitely justify and benefit from having a f1.2 prime in his kit if it means shooting at 3200 instead of 6400 while maintaining an acceptable shutter speed, even if he had stabilization and could shoot at lower shutter speeds, it still helps a lot in the AF department . A hobbiest shooting mostly in good light or not shooting often in dim lighting obviously has way less justification for such an option.
So YES... we need fast glass. But its need is not as big as it used to be. Additionally, the difference between f1.4 and f1.8 might not be that big in terms of bokeh, but it is for f1.2 vs f1.8. Shoot a subject against a busy background with a f1.8 and f1.2 lens and tell me which you prefer, cause I am sure it will be the latter. Whether that justified $2k+ is the major question, but if you make money from your photography it may very well be completely justified.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow