Started Oct 7, 2019 | Discussions thread
W3PYF
OP W3PYF Contributing Member • Posts: 906
Re: New iPadOS makes iPad Pro a Sony image-processing beast for travel

LarryRC wrote:

W3PYF wrote:

LarryRC wrote:

W3PYF wrote:

The new iPadOS makes the iPad Pro tablets a quantum leap forward in portable image processing – especially Sony ARW files.

The iPad Pro now accepts hard drives directly – and when those hard drives are formatted as OSX journaled, very competitive with the MacBook Pro in both speed of attachment and access.

iPadOS now reads and displays Sony ARW files as well as jpegs. And even neater, when you click on one, you can load it directly into Lightroom (or almost any other imaging processing app you want) for immediate processing. And you can save the processed file anywhere you wish, including the cloud (although it also loads it to the Adobe cloud if you use it).

It now accepts a Bluetooth mouse or trackpad. While the functionality reminds me of the single-button mouse connected to a 1984 Mac, that will surely improve with subsequent OS updates.

I’ve found an excellent Bluetooth keyboard, and I’ve added a 8-in-1 hub to my travel kit. That hub connects SD cards, hard drives, USB drives, HDMI cables and – if I wanted – Ethernet connections, all while passing through power to the USB-C socket on the iPad Pro.

The proliferation of image processing apps available for the iPad, along with Office 365 apps, persuaded me to replace my aging 13” MacBook Pro and 9.7” iPad Pro with a 12.9” iPad Pro – as soon as iPadOS was announced. That proved a good choice.

iPadOS has many other upgrades from iOS 13 that make the iPad Pro such a pleasure to use. I’ve just “focused” on Sony ARW advantages here.

I have no intention to respond to any “yeah but Android and Surface had all that first” comments from those who don’t like Apple. Apple phone and Genius Bar support, its aggressive cleansing of its App Store, resistance to viruses and malware, and smooth integration across my iMac, iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPad Pro persuade me of the wisdom of switching to Apple from Windows almost a decade ago. If you’re happy with alternatives, good for you. My hardware is for business as well as pleasure, and so, access to great Apple support justifies the cost to me.

I’m using the latest iPadPro 11 inch with 13.1.2. I’m shooting raw (slot 1) and jpg (slot 2) using my A7r iv. I have the following observations / questions:

1. I’m still seeing the raw Arw files as blanks in photos. Can’t find an updated list of supported cameras. I don’t believe that Apple in supporting the iv yet?

2. Plugging a usb-c cable between my A7r iv and this iPad I can download the raw files only. Works great for backup. It’s faster though to take the sdxc 1 card out of the camera and use the card reader. If I use the card reader then I can’t later download the jpgs for some reason. It says that all files have been downloaded even though that’s not true.

3. To get the jpgs I have to plug in a sdxc card reader to my iPad and put the card from slot 2 into the reader and then I can transfer the jpgs.

4. I can see and edit full res fine jpgs in photos. And the editing has more options than iOS 12.

And where is the full PS that was promised for this year on this iPadPro?

Don’t get me wrong I love this technology and where apple is going.

If you are seeing ARW files as blanks, I think you have the wrong iOS. IOS 13.1.2 is for iPhones - it’s not iPadOS. IPadOS was just launched on September 24, and doesn’t automatically come into your iPad. I called Apple support when iPadOS didn’t come up as an automatic update. They said the fastest way to get it was to do a backup/update through iTunes. And sure enough, that put iPadOS on my iPad Pro.

Ability to see ARW as well as JPG was an “unannounced” feature of iPadOS. Here is what you see with iPadOS:

Hopefully you can see in this frame grab (done now on the iPad Pro iPadOS with command-shift-4, like a Mac) there are 2 files with the same name of each frame - only one is say, 24 MB and one is 11 MB. Also, if you click on the bigger, it fills the screen on the first click. That’s the raw file.

These were images copied from a SD card onto a hard card, but the same visualization under iPadOS shows on images in a card reader. You of course know that if you tap on one of the small images, it fills the screen, and you can elect to mark it for download to your camera roll or via the File app to the hard drive.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It was helpful to remember that I can now go to iCloud Drive and see the files.

1. Please check the software version you are running on your iPad. I am running the latest iPad os released 9/24. iPhone iOS won’t run on an iPad.

2. iOS 12 supported jpg and raw also here are the cameras that it supported:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208967

i have been opening jpg and arw files for my A7r iii pre iPad Pro 11. Apple did add more editing features.

I can find no update to that list for iPad os after 9/24. My A7r iii files show just fine while the A7r iv aren’t opened by Apple yet. The raw files are different for each camera. What Sony camera are you using? Adobe took several weeks after the A7r iv was announced before they opened the iv files. This happens with every new camera from all manufacturers even when the sensor is the same.

Are you sure you are running iPadOS? If so, you should see this:

I am shooting an A7III.

Remember - there is iOS 13.1.2 for the iPad, released on 9/24, and iPadOS 13.1.2 released the same day. Are you SURE you have the iPadOS version?

You may be right - the issue may be Apple can’t read your ARW files.

And yes, Apple has enhanced the editing tools in the latest iOS - for both iPhone and iPad. The combination of the latest iOS and the iPhone 11 Pro Max is really wonderful. For the first time, I have a lot of confidence in using an iPhone as a serious camera.

W3PYF's gear list:W3PYF's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow