Everything you always wanted to know about C-AF...

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
acfo Regular Member • Posts: 343
Everything you always wanted to know about C-AF...

Resuming the discussion from another thread and moving on to the question how C-AF works and what influences the C-AF performance.

In the other thread tests seem to indicate there is a connection between aperture and C-AF performance.

Sources on the internet and some books about Olympus cameras state that the picture mode influences C-AF performance.

I've now also gone out and made some C-AF tests on moving cars with the Pen-F and an Oly 25mm f1.8.

Sadly due to the privacy laws in my country I am not be able to post the pictures of today's test.

For this initial test I took 110 pictures at f1.8 with C-AF and C-AF + tracking in sequential burst mode L anti-shock. To test the influence of art filters for about half of the C-AF + tracking shots I used the art filter soft focus. The single focus point was set to small and centered.

The test subjects were cars and a motorcycle coming towards and past me with a bendy bit at roughly 30 kmh.

12 of the 110 pictures were out of focus. There does not seem to be a difference in the hit rate using C-AF and C-AF + tracking. The soft focus art filter also did not influence the hit rate (myth debunked). Most of the out of focus pictures had subjects with low contrast, e.g. a burst on a black motorcycle with a black rider only had a 50% hit rate. Dof of the 25mm at f1.8 probably was to large to show any influence of aperture on focus performance.

acfo's gear list:acfo's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +5 more
Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow