Started Oct 7, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 18,098
Stylus 1, 1s Setup Suggestions *** Revised 10-7-19 ***

info and contributions from others to get here are found in this prior thread

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54433732

Stylus 1 Setup Suggestions: Revised 10-7-19

page #s are from Olympus 118 page online manual (same as manual on CD). List of defaults, pg 102-106.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/STYLUS%201_MANUAL_ENG.PDF

Stylus 1, Firmware update 2, gives original Stylus 1 the features of later Stylus 1s model.

The Olympus Stylus firmware page says: http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/#stylus

Setup Changes from Default (where to find them, and why I use them)

1. Reset to begin. pg 47. Menu, camera 1, 2 line down, Reset/C mode setup: Reset, either Full or Basic. FULL. List of default settings: pg 102 to 106

2. Super Control Panel. (SCP) needs to be turned ON

SCP is Fabulous. Once set up, you simply press the OK button for access to 23 setting icons on 1 single page. Check or change something. Use touch or rocker to an icon, say focus mode: touch (or press ok), all focus modes pop up, select macro, shoot. ISO, WB, Focus area, metering area, ….. all 23 setting icons are there in one button press. Importantly, once using SCP, you can now use Fn buttons for other choices.

Menu, Gear symbol, item D, display, press ok, 3 line down, Control Settings, press ok. iAuto, right click, uncheck live guide, uncheck live control, check live SCP box.Same thing for PASM, only SCP box checked. Leave Art and SCN alone. (Live Control is similar, but only 7 items are shown on screen). pg 66,67

3. Default JPEG compression is N not F or, SF (much less compression) ***

a. JPEG SF (Super Fine Compression) (least amount of Jpeg compression, largest Jpeg file size).pg 37, 38.

b. F = fine = 48% less compression than N. Jpeg SF (Superfine) is a new choice these days. Jpeg SF is 34% less compression than F. Average file sizes, (and resultant writing time) increase: F = 85% larger file than N. SF = 44% larger than F.

c. The camera/buffer is superfast; it’s hard to notice a time difference, except when writing a burst of continuous shots. Memory is inexpensive, so file size is not too consequential. Shooting RAW, much larger files, takes longer to write also. File size chart, pg 101. (note: File chart in manual is incorrect. RAW files average 12MB).

d. Menu, gear, line G, quality symbol/color/wb, press ok, 6 line down, symbol, set, press ok. You can change 4 sets of settings: pick the size of the image, and then you pick the amount of compression to be used. This effects the choices you make next in item 4. Mine: 1 is L/Sf; 2 is L/F; 3 is M/F; 4 is S/F. Despite reading elsewhere how hard it is to see the difference between F and SF, I now use it. (Robin Wong shoots RAW + Jpeg SF).

e. JPEG Compression. Camera 1; 4 line, symbol with dots; still picture; image size: change it to LF (jpeg only) or LF + RAW. Or, to try Jpeg Superfine, use LSF (jpeg only) or LSF + RAW

4. AEB Auto Exposure Bracketing Suggestion

I found I never use a + exposure for any bracketing of any of my cameras. I also find avoiding blown out skies, and lifting shadows in PP very successful, amazing amount of detail can be recovered, while cutting highlights in PP leads to problems rather quickly.

To avoid getting a wasted AEB + exposure I pre-adjust using the normal exposure control to -.3 or -.7

Then, pre-adjusted -.3ev, using AEB +/- .3ev, I get: 0.0; -.3; -.6. (or any other combination I might try)

5. Movie. next line down from #4 above, I change from Full HD to HD, for smaller file sizes if I share (50% less pixel count). I don’t do much video, and given the tiny mics in compact cameras, I use my Video Camera when I might/will do video. (David Pogue agrees, Mpeg4 is good enough video from these compacts). pg 37.

6. Exposure Metering Area CAN Follow Chosen ‘OFF CENTER’ Focus Area. Default metering areais centered; no matter if it’s size is multi, center, or spot. If you want, it can automatically follow your chosen off center focus point. Menu, gear, line E, exp/iso, press ok, 2 line down, … metering, turn ON.

7. Flash Strength CAN automatically follow Exposure Compensation +/-.Menu, gear, line f, flash custom, 2 line, two compensation symbols, default off, turn ON

8. Function Buttons, and AEL. pg 70, 77.

Fn1, Fn2, and Red Dot button Options are NOT the same, so it gets complicated.

AEL is ONLY available by reassigning either Fn1 button, or Red Dot button. Locks at 1st shot.

a. Menu, gear, 2 line down, Button/Dial/Lever. press ok, button function, press ok.

b. Fn1 function, I leave default 2X

c. Fn2 function: by default, 14 settings are checked, which means, as you press it, it toggles thru ALL 14 of those items, (hardly quick, hard to remember). Uncheck what you do not want. Most of these are in the Super Control Panel anyway. I uncheck them all, except the one setting I want to get to directly, (without moving my eye from the EVF). I pick what I am currently trying to learn, or what might be good for the situation at hand. You could check just a favorite fewoptions and toggle thru only them. Retains last used.

d. Red Dot Button, default movie. I want AEL, so, I changed Red Dot to AEL, which means, to start a movie, I need to go back to the menu, gear, 2 line, button/dial lever, …… If Fn2 could be AEL, that would be a big firmware improvement for me, I could leave red dot movie default.

e. Lots of other customization is possible on this page, I reset frequently, so I leave the rest as default.

9. Bracketing Shooting Mode. Default is OFF. It is both extensive and tricky to set up. pg 31, 51

a. Bracketing Types available: AE; WB; FL; ISO; ART. (no BKT possible in iAuto mode)

b. AE Bracketing is ONLY available in P and A modes.

c. You need to go to two menu lines to activate it.

d. Put top dial in P or A mode so AE is a choice. You can go back to whatever later.

e. Camera 2, top line, shooting mode, notice BKT shooting mode is grayed out.

f. Camera 2, 3line, Bracketing, default off, Press OK. Goes to list of the 5 types of bracketing. Top, AE, most common, press right rocker, use down rocker to choose the number of shots, and the range of exposure, pick one, mine: 3 frames, +/- .7ev.

g. Camera 2, top line, shooting mode, now, BKT shooting mode is active, (if in P or A camera mode). Choose it when desired.

h. If you select one of the 4 other BKT types, BKT will be a choice in all PASM, not iAuto.

10. Lens ‘soft’ at f2.8. I think so now, and just re-read reviews, Robin Wong, DPR and IR all say it is soft at f2.8.

11. WB, keep warm colors. For shots involving incandescent lights. Default ON. (Robin Wong says OFF). pg 74

12. IS Image Stabilization Notes

a. No matter what anyone says, I am going to turn IS OFF while using a Tripod, or Stabilized Shooting Position. Sony repeatedly says, turn it OFF. Oly Manual says OFF. Oly Rep Catalina says it can be left on, no problem will occur. Remembering to turn IS back ON for Handheld is my only concern. Sony’s IS system is constantly ‘hopping about’ anticipating/ready to deal with any inadvertent shake, can be detrimental when on a tripod.

b. Telling the camera the Tele 1.7x lens is ON, causes an increased level of IS, to help with any slight movement being magnified by the increased distances involved with Tele 1.7x use. Also, if knowing the 1.7x lens is on, the camera processor does the 1.7x math for you, the exif 35mm equivalent is correct as shot. (2X feature, when/if used: you must look for Digital Zoom, if 2, then double the exif 35mm equivalent shown).

c. This ‘extra’ IS will be involved with both RAW and/or Jpeg. Instead of Increased IS. my Sony rx100m6, 24-200mm reach, Sony processor provides more aggressive NR Noise Reduction, JPEG ONLY, which does NOT affect RAW images that have no in-camera NR applied.

d. IS ON (basic handheld setting), has two ON options:

d1. Constant (default), IS occurs both during live view prior to half press and occurs while exposing.

d2. Optionally, ‘While Exposing IS’. It affects when IS Occurs. When this option is set to ‘ON’ IS does not occur during live view, it ONLY occurs at half or full press. (this is separate from the IS OFF setting for tripod use).

13. Picture Mode. Camera 1, 3 line down, Picture Mode. Default is #3, Natural. There are 17 pre-set choices. 17 various pre-adjusted combos of: contrast, sharpness, saturation, gradation. You can make further adjustments to any/each of these. iAuto camera mode, only default #3 natural is available. pg 33, 48, 49

14. Silent Camera. Menu, gear, 3 line, Connection/Sound. 3 line down, symbol, press ok, default is camera sounds on. change to OFF. (does not change video sound volume). pg 71

15. Level Guage. Menu, gear, 4 line, display, press ok, info settings, LV-info, right rocker. Check and uncheck the screens that you will toggle thru when you hit the info button on the rear bottom right ‘info’ button. I check the level guage 1 button. Lots of optional display choices are here. pg 14

16. Program (P) and Program Shift Ps) pg 17

P is simply Auto with important options (i.e. you can set focus and or metering area sizes, not possible in Auto)

P: camera automatically sets exposure (speed, aperture, IS) based on what it sees (has no idea what your subject is, or if motion is involved).

Ps Program Shift lets you start with P, then quickly modify the Aperture (which will modify the shutter speed, and may modify the ISO).

a. P: Get/find an automatic exposure in ‘normal’ P mode, then, optionally,

b. Ps: rotate control ring, the symbol Ps appears bottom left of LCD. see/try different aperture settings (camera automatically adjusts for the aperture change, and it shows you the resultant shutter speed change) (ISO ‘might’ automatically change also, ISO shows at half press after making a change)

i.e. start in P, and then use Ps to find a combination with a faster shutter for motion, or, a different aperture for DOF control. Undo: Rotate till Ps changes back to just P (or, as I do, change the top dial to any other mode, then back to P for a fresh P start.

i.e. P mode, and go 1 click in Ps to f3.2 for sharper than f2.8 (if shutter not too slow).

17. Auto Review Time (as images are shot).

Menu, wrench, rec view, u/d rocker changes time. Pg 61. You might want it long enough to review a shot for sharpness, composition; or short, just to see framing when shooting sports, or off when in a theater, or no delay between shots. pg 61.

18. AF Area Targeting (using left rocker and touch screen).

Very fast and intuitive. Press left rocker, focus box grid appears on LCD. Touch a box. To get back to ‘Multi’ AF area, move the green box off any edge, pg 32, 45.

19. LCD ‘Touch’ CAN be disabled. Menu, gear, j, utility, 4 line down, pg 76.

20. In-camera Extra Zoom, (2X). Jpeg only, it’s ‘effortlessly good enough’, well worth a look.

Any time you engage 2X it instantly doubles the optical Focal Length, (by in-camera cropping, and in-camera up-scaling back to full 12mp). (activate 2X default is F1 button)

Later, in the picture properties, the digital zoom info line will show ‘2’. Just multiply the 35mm equivalent by 2 for effective FL up to 600mm. or

Using Tcon 1.7X, optical 510mm allows up to 1,020mm 2X.

21. Conversion Lenses (each needs it's own adapter tube for use) (bright glass maintains constant f2.8)

a. Tcon 1.7X Conversion Lens (increases base 300mm optical zoom up to 510mm).

If or when you buy one, you can/should tell the camera when it is installed. Camera 2, bottom line, symbol of lens. Off/ON. IF 'informed':

a1. The camera automatically zooms past vignette upon turn on.

a2. The EXIF math, optical zoom x 1.7x optical conversion lens is computed by the camera, the effective 35mm focal length is given, up to 510mm optical. pg 53.

a3. Automatically engages more aggressive IS, see 12b above.

b. 0.8x Wide Conversion Lens widens base 28mm view as much as 22.4mm)

22. Zoom Speed, Normal or Low. The camera has two zoom levers, top, and at the side of the lens. The side one, you can adjust the speed, normal, or, low which may be preferred for movies.

Menu, gear, b, button/dial/lever; 6th line down: zoom speed, right toggle, normal or low.

******** END of NOTES *******

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
Nikon D1 Olympus Stylus 1s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow