We need Smartphone AI technology in our cameras NOW

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Franglais91 Contributing Member • Posts: 928
We need Smartphone AI technology in our cameras NOW

My Teacher dismayed me yesterday. He just got himself an IPhone 8 and he is knocked out by the images he gets OOC (our main subject is art-nudes by natural light that the smartphone does very well). He shoots very good JPG and makes minor adjustments in post-processing but he can't match what his iPhone does.

He says he's going to sell all his Canon gear and buy a hybrid camera. To which I reply that it's the image processing that counts and the hybrid camera manufacturers have no advantage over Canon or Nikon in this area.

It turns out that he's seen results from a Panasonic LUMIX DC-LX100II which does really pretty pictures rather like a smartphone. (Fixed-lens MFT camera developed with Leica who also did the HAUWEI P20 smartphone). I managed to do a comparison vs RAW from my D800 - the Panasonic image falls apart when you look closely, blown highlights and all. But if all you want to do is post on the Web it's good.

How long does it take for the "classic" camera manufacturers to put Smartphone processing in their JPG engines?

-- hide signature --
 Franglais91's gear list:Franglais91's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Bob
Bob
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow