Is there a need for F1.4 lenses....

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,385
Is there a need for F1.4 lenses....

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/4682142293/when-fast-ish-is-fast-enough-in-praise-of-f1-8-lenses?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

I thought it would be interesting to get a "Sony" perspective on f1.4 or faster lenses. The above article is well written by Barney Britton.

Quote: There is still a demand for F1.4 and faster lenses, but that's not the same thing as saying that there is a need for them

There is an interesting figure in the article showing bokeh from an f1.8 lens to an f1.4 lens, and the f1.4 lens is superior - no doubt.  but the bokeh from the f1.8 lens was fine by me as well.  More revealing perhaps was the size comparisons between an f1.8 and a f1.4 lens in the article.  Substantial size and cost differences.

Anyway, i thought that Britton "hit it out of the park" with regard to summarizing the differences between "normal" size lenses and the more exotic.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow