New iPadOS makes iPad Pro a Sony image-processing beast for travel

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
W3PYF
W3PYF Contributing Member • Posts: 802
New iPadOS makes iPad Pro a Sony image-processing beast for travel

The new iPadOS makes the iPad Pro tablets a quantum leap forward in portable image processing – especially Sony ARW files.

The iPad Pro now accepts hard drives directly – and when those hard drives are formatted as OSX journaled, very competitive with the MacBook Pro in both speed of attachment and access.

iPadOS now reads and displays Sony ARW files as well as jpegs. And even neater, when you click on one, you can load it directly into Lightroom (or almost any other imaging processing app you want) for immediate processing. And you can save the processed file anywhere you wish, including the cloud (although it also loads it to the Adobe cloud if you use it).

It now accepts a Bluetooth mouse or trackpad. While the functionality reminds me of the single-button mouse connected to a 1984 Mac, that will surely improve with subsequent OS updates.

I’ve found an excellent Bluetooth keyboard, and I’ve added a 8-in-1 hub to my travel kit. That hub connects SD cards, hard drives, USB drives, HDMI cables and – if I wanted – Ethernet connections, all while passing through power to the USB-C socket on the iPad Pro.

The proliferation of image processing apps available for the iPad, along with Office 365 apps, persuaded me to replace my aging 13” MacBook Pro and 9.7” iPad Pro with a 12.9” iPad Pro – as soon as iPadOS was announced. That proved a good choice.

iPadOS has many other upgrades from iOS 13 that make the iPad Pro such a pleasure to use. I’ve just “focused” on Sony ARW advantages here.

I have no intention to respond to any “yeah but Android and Surface had all that first” comments from those who don’t like Apple. Apple phone and Genius Bar support, its aggressive cleansing of its App Store, resistance to viruses and malware, and smooth integration across my iMac, iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPad Pro persuade me of the wisdom of switching to Apple from Windows almost a decade ago. If you’re happy with alternatives, good for you. My hardware is for business as well as pleasure, and so, access to great Apple support justifies the cost to me.

W3PYF's gear list:W3PYF's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow