Leica Q2 AF issues with backlit scenes

Started Sep 28, 2019 | Discussions thread
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,473
Re: Panasonic familiarity does prep you to a degree.

lnsmr wrote:

...Any tips on settings for quick MF? Currently I am relying on 3x magnification (more FOV than 6x) with highlight, but sometimes get soft focus when shooting f/1.7. Wonder how reliable is the AF highlight assist. Perhaps that allows focusing without magnification.

Learn to think in focus zones rather than critical focus.

I use manual focus lenses on my CL because I can just set the distance and focus zone with the focus and aperture, and then I don't focus at all: I just frame and make exposures. This is perhaps a little more difficult on the Q/Q2, I'm not sure, but I do the same with every camera. It just takes a little time and experimentation so that you understand how much focus 'criticality' is essential to your satisfaction ... how much defocus you can tolerate and still get the results you want.

I often get a baseline setting by using maximum magnification and focus on something critically, just so I know where the right point is, then I just move the focusing ring a nudge this way or that by estimation when actually shooting. I've gotten very good results this way.

G

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow