Calibration for monitor or calibration for both Monitor/printer

Started Sep 30, 2019 | Discussions thread
flyinglentris
flyinglentris Senior Member • Posts: 1,344
Re: Calibration for monitor or calibration for both Monitor/printer

Petruska wrote:

I have done years ago what you are attempting to do now. I read all the books, pick the brains of the pros, etc. I own 7, yes 7, ICC profiling spectrometers. It was fun tweaking everything to perfection for a while, but wasted a lot of ink and paper, and always needed to buy a better printer to get larger color gamuts, and don't forget you need a super great ($$$) 100% AdobeRGB capable monitor or you will be missing something in the CM workflow.

The bottom line is that the print needs to look good to you, not adhering to some calibration standard. In all honesty printer ICC profiles provided by paper manufacturers are as good as my 1800 target patch generated custom ICC profiles, sometimes they are better. It's very hard to see the differences between the prints using both profiles. The only time the custom ICC is preferred is if I'm printing B&W and have a slight color cast, I can get rid of the color cast with the custom ICC profile.

I learned that it's better to spend more time taking better photos than worrying about color managed prints.

Most of the time the club members of my photography club that win print competitions just print with the standard paper selections in the printer driver, they don't use ICC printer profiles, they don't soft proof, they don't care about rendering intents, etc. They make sure that the print looks great to them even if the colors are off from what they saw when they took the shot.

So my bottom line is keep doing your CM research, the exhaustive trial and error printing, and then you will see that the simple approach is the way to go...…….

Bob P.

Thank you for acknowledging. My CM research has revealed much that I was not aware of, including things like 4x5 camera backs, raster image processors, embedded profiles, better reasons for using RAW, the ability for force read JPG into RAW and much more.

There have been several threads I've read regarding OPs being dumb-founded that their colors don't stay consistent from camera to web or from camera to printer and they, although having color checkers and calibrators, are unable to fathom why. It might be as simple as not having turned off embedded profiles or having bought cheap inkjet third party inks. But there are a number of things that might have gone awry. Most would occur in pre-profiling/pre-measurement, but a few might involve the actual measurements. Did they set a white point? Do they even know what a white point is? It wasn't long ago, that I did not. Did they in their attempts to use profiling and calibration jazz something up because they didn't know what they were doing? It may well be that many fall into that trap.

I use Composite CMYK printers at home and have never really had color rendition problems, but when I went to a print lab some time ago, things did not go the way I wanted. If I want to print greater than 8x11, the service bureau or print lab is the alternate and if I can't interact intelligently with them, my time, effort and cash will be wasted. So, yes, I dig and I do my best to understand and as I have stated, I have yet to even purchase profiling/calibration gear. It's all pretty much new turf at that the moment and the need to understand first, is what I am actively engaged in. I don't wish to be a victim of my own ignorance by simply shot-gunning rudimentary CM knowledge or advice.

In this digital age, the camera, the printer and the dark room have all evolved to extraordinary degrees. There are a cadre of scientists and engineers who collect pay checks putting their minds at work solving problems and coming up with ways of doing things that make the photographer's tools not only extremely versatile, but potentially more difficult to understand and utilize to their full capacity. And people will try to use facets of those tools that given little understanding on their part, will only frustrate them. In those cases, KISS is good advise. But for some the feature sets available will need to be explored and put to work. And for every neophyte and novice, the curve must be approached, between ignorance and fluency. I, being a retired scientist/engineer type, love the technology and the intricacy. My analytic blood is rushed by wading into it. It has been my life for a long time, just not in the world of photography.

And what other good does a web site like DPR do, besides allowing all of us exposure to what is evolving and allowing us to keep current by being triggered to dig into new technologies?    My interests in CM started right here at DPR.

-- hide signature --

"If you are among those who believe that it has all been done already and nothing new can be achieved, you've murdered your own artistry before ever letting it live. You abort it in its fetal state. There is much that has yet to be spoken in art and composition and it grows with the passage of time. Evolving technologies, world environments and ideologies all drive change in thoughts, passion and expression. There is no way that it can all ever be done already. And therein lies the venue for the creative artist, a venue that is as diverse as the universe is unmapped and unexplored." - Quote from FlyingLentris
~
flyinglentris in LLOMA

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow