Calibration for monitor or calibration for both Monitor/printer

Started Sep 30, 2019 | Discussions thread
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 4,263
Re: Calibration for monitor or calibration for both Monitor/printer

Petruska wrote:

... In all honesty printer ICC profiles provided by paper manufacturers are as good as my 1800 target patch generated custom ICC profiles, sometimes they are better.

Often true, but sometimes they are worse.  The worst I ever got was an Epson 3880 ICC profile for Red River Palo Dura SG rag.  It was unusable giving very washed out results.  I was told the file was "corrupted".  Maybe but it did not work.

.....They make sure that the print looks great to them even if the colors are off from what they saw when they took the shot.

Absolutely, but you decide on the colors you want while processing.  When you are done you want the colors on your monitor to match the print.  That means either good luck or calibration.

Bob, I really do not know what point you are trying to make.  Basic monitor calibration and setting up printer-paper profiles need not be difficult.  Periodic recalibration of monitors is recommended.  That is mostly a hold over from old fashioned CRTs and monitors from years ago.  I calibrate my monitor once or twice a year and even then that is gross overkill with virtually no adjustment every needed.  Inks and papers are even more consistent.

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow