Aurora filters solve the Nikon Z dust issues?

Started Jul 16, 2019 | Discussions thread
Veloster75 Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Re: Aurora filters solve the Nikon Z dust issues?

Lawrose wrote:

For the lucky photographers who have no problem with dust on their sensor, try this and get ready for a surprise.

1. Put your camera in Manual focus;

2. Set it to aperture priority, and the aperture on the lens to as small as it will go;

3. Zoom out as far as the lens will go (if it is a zoom lens);

4. Pull up an 18% grey image on your computer (basic white is good enough);

5. Take a few shots close up, keeping the camera out of focus, at the smallest aperture and then at each aperture until you get to wide open;

6. Load the photos on your computer and pixel peek `em all the way;

7. If you have a "show spots" function in your post processing software, also engage that and have a look at the result.

If you still see nothing, you are a winner. However, my guess is that from about f/16 on, and maybe even larger than that, you will see a fair amount of dust, perhaps a great deal of dust. As I posted earlier, I can get my sensor clean enough that I only see dust above f/16, and then almost always only against a solid background, and I basically never shoot above f/11, so does it matter? Can anything actually be dust free, or are we talking degrees of dust free? If it is degrees, then we should say so, if not, then we, of at least I, need to find a better way.

I'm sorry , but what's the big deal? Jeepers crap sake, people just love to find fault or complain about everything no matter how small. Yeah, the sensor is exposed unless a lens is placed in front of it. Yeah, the sensor is exposed when changing lenses. Is it possible the sensor can get dust on it ? Well, yeah. Is it the end of the world, no? is it a manufacture problem? Absolutely not. Does the interior of your car get dusty when you open the door? Yes it does.  Is it a manufacture problem ? No. Just clean the darn thing.

-- hide signature --

Have a great life.

Veloster75's gear list:Veloster75's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 60-600mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow