Sand Macro Photography without a microscope objective

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
oneofone25
oneofone25 Contributing Member • Posts: 724
Sand Macro Photography without a microscope objective

When I tell people I do this, they usually don't believe me.  They either don't believe that

a) what I am showing them is sand

b) that I did this without a microscope objective

c) that the garnet grains I find are actually as small as they are, and that I find them with near perfect facets with little to no damage.

d) after I convince them it is sand, they don't believe that the grains are actually as small as I am saying, which is usually between .25 and .35mm wide for the garnets.  The other sand in the background of the photos that I use for a colorful background is between 1/2mm and 1mm diameter.  This is some fairly fine sand and not course at all.

Now, I of course find many garnet grains that have damage, and they still make for amazing photography...

I do this with the Olympus EM1 Mark 2 camera, I use 26mm of FOTGA extension tubes in between the Olympus MC-14 Teleconverter and the tack-sharp Olympus 60mm macro lens.  On the end I add a Raynox 202 macro filter that I believe is 26 diopters.  All in all, I get about 4.5-5x magnification.

Here are a handful of images for you to see.  I use the Olympus Capture software on my computer and tether my computer to my camera.  I then am able to move my focus using little arrows to move forward or backward and take whatever images I want.  Because I have this ability and am not tied to a rail, I can use the High Resolution Mode on my camera and get 50MP Jpegs to stack.  This increases the detail on the sand grains and allows me to crop and get a more detailed image for the pleasure of the eyes!

Take a look.  My instagram is 1of1snowflakes if anyone wants to follow there and see them all.

oneofone25's gear list:oneofone25's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow