Nikon Lens Patents

Started Sep 21, 2019 | Discussions thread
Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,466
Re: Nikon Lens Patents, thanks!

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

Hi,

I posted this on the Nikon SLR lens forum but perhaps this is a better place for it.

We are lucky that Nikon appears to have patents for many if not all Nikkor lenses they have manufactured. I have been compiling a list of these patents, and trying to track down patents for some of the earliest and famous Nikon designs.

If anyone here can point me to patents I should add then please let me know. In particular I haven't yet been able to track down the patent for 105mm f2.5 lens.

https://cameragossip.github.io/nikon-lens-patents.html

no problem here to see your list at cameragossip. Interesting ! despite that it is difficult to appreciate the patent info as a non-expert.

some notes :

the linked patent for AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 G  is reported to be in error by Google.

the Remarks column sometimes refers to figures like: See figure 26  . But, there seems to be no path to such figures.

there are interesting discussions with elaborate illustrations for some of these lenses at Pierre Toscani / Optique .

there is an interesting discussion of the AF-S 200mm f/2 G VR  by Marco Cavina

if you could find them, some further patents would be interesting to look up:

a) comparing the nearly equivalent lenses AF-S 24-120mm f/4 G (FX) and AF-S 16-80mm f/2.8-4 G DX

b) AF-S 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 G  a 5x zoom using a super ED glass element (like the 200mm f/2 prime)

c) Af-S 70-200mm f/4 G using a HRI glass element

d) comparing the older AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED using 2 ED glass elements with the newer AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 E ED VR achieving better IQ using only one ED glass element.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow