dilemma between camera or smartphone for trip

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
michhy New Member • Posts: 10
dilemma between camera or smartphone for trip

Back in the days of Nikon D20 and EOS 350, when I was still taking photos with an actual camera, smartphone cams were at it's infancy. If you need a photo to be decent, you'd have to use a camera. Smartphones were simply horrible, useful only for quick simple shots to share but never worth keeping. But today, things has advanced so much for both.

So that brings me to my question. I'm going for a sabbatical trip and plan to make memories from photos, but I couldn't decide between upgrading my smartphone, or buying a standalone camera. I read lots of reviews for cameras in my budget and the 2 that currently caught my attention is the Canon m100/m200 and the Fujifilm x-a5. I know some of you are probably shaking heads now as those are beginner level cameras, but I am a beginner, and I choose them because they are small, but has a large sensor, and comes with decent kit lens. I dont want a fuss with manual settings, RAW or bringing more than 1 lens (no camera bags!). Taking photo is not the aim of my trip, but a by-product. I do wish for good looking photos though. My budget allows me to either upgrade my phone, or get the cameras mentioned. Truth be told, I'd gone the phone route has it not been for the worry on the limited dynamic/tonal range of these tiny sensors. But would the APS-C sensors bring about big differences? Focusing speed is also another concern, are the differences truly great? What would you choose? Why?

Thanks.

Canon PowerShot D20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow