My refurb Z6 + 24-70 arrived from B&H

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
DDavis1 Regular Member • Posts: 298
Re: My refurb Z6 + 24-70 arrived from B&H

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

shadowlands wrote:

JayJones wrote:

I ordered mine on Sunday but they are on Holiday. I guess it will ship out tomorrow when they return. I just want it to work, I don't really care about the packaging. The savings is pretty massive, so that's all that matters (if it works of course ;-)).

For what it's worth mine was rated 9 and it's mint. The box was mint. The lens was mint. I'm very happy with it.

Just be careful that B&H doesn't sell you a grey market used item. After many years of buying used gear from them, I had my first unsatisfactory purchase last week. I bought a used, 9+ rated Nikon lens. To be sure, I certainly paid a 9+ rated price for it. That's okay, I always buy the upper end items when buying used gear.

The problem came when I opened the box and discovered it was a grey market product. I paid way too much for something Nikon, USA won't touch for repairs. No matter how good the deal, I don't buy grey market. If I need repairs, I don't want some repair shop with poorly trained personnel installing non-Nikon parts. If one of the Nikon USA shops won't touch it, I don't want it. The lens was out of the box less than 3 minutes before I was packing it up for return. If B&H wants to sell grey market items, they should be up front with their customers. I don't know if they can/will tell you specifics about a particular used piece of gear. If not, I won't be buying used gear from them again.

That sounds like a one-off. B&H isn't in the business of selling grey markets. Somebody likely slipped and overlooked checking the serial number on the item's intake likely from a trade in.

Companies like B&H aren't immune from intaking grey market or bogus items. They and a couple other electronics houses got batches of fake Nikon EN-EL15b batteries. Once you make them aware of an issue, they ARE quick to make it right. I remember buying a used Nikon 200-500 5.6 lens from B&H, but it arrived in a Nikon box, but without a lens hood. I emailed them and asked if it was listed as not having one (since it was used), and they said that I should have had one, but wasn't sure if it was supposed to be included...so, they sent one out air mail the next day anyways. A $50 lens hood air-mailed next day free of charge.

DDavis1's gear list:DDavis1's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow