Great, but there is a but...

Started Sep 28, 2019 | User reviews thread
OP 47872Mike Regular Member • Posts: 210
Re: Great, but there is a but...

Steve Balcombe wrote:

47872Mike wrote:

What is looking like it might be a massive issue is the curved field. Not because in itself it affects most real-world images (although it does presumably contribute to the unsharpness of extreme corners), but specifically because if you use centre focus and recompose, as many 6D owners do, you are likely to get a lot of very blurred shots.
Obviously it's possible to work around this, but it seems annoying having to remember to work differently when shooting with this lens. I was hoping to be able to use it for environmental and maybe other portraits, but I'm not sure it's worth changing the way I shoot and avoiding centre focus/recompose. In fact I know it isn't.

Optical Limits - a long-established and well-regarded site - says of this lens "There is a bit of field curvature but not to a [worrying] degree." So not as extreme as you are suggesting, but in any case if you need very precise focusing of a wide-ish lens, focus/recompose is not ideal, so changing the way you shoot could be the right way to go. The very simple optical design is bound to introduce compromises.

I recently bought a Sigma 40mm f/1.4 Art - there is a certain amount of comedy value in comparing the sizes:

From camerasize.com

That size difference is indeed comical! I do love the tininess of the Canon.

47872Mike's gear list:47872Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Sony SLT-A37 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow