Calibration for monitor or calibration for both Monitor/printer

Started Sep 30, 2019 | Discussions thread
flyinglentris
flyinglentris Senior Member • Posts: 1,344
Re: Calibration for monitor or calibration for both Monitor/printer

jpegman wrote:

In all honesty flyinglentris, anyone who goes this deep into color management no one would print color photos! I believe in KISS. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

I can appreciate that and understand fully.   By one token, you are right on, but by another token, I find a member who once owned a print lab berating that people bring in work and don't understand jack about color management.

Simply, as JToolman says certify the printer using a standard image, the OEM inks and paper and if you get a quality print then move onto color management at the monitor. Next calibrate your process monitor using the X-Rite hardware/software puck standard and if done correctly the resulting prints will match the screen! Tweak it to custom cd/m^2 depending on computer/viewing room brightness, and a custom ICC profile if using non OEM papers/inks, or even if the OEM Profiles aren't deemed perfect.

Just my $0.02

As I have said, I have yet to buy in yet and am just researching and spitting out what my journey has sucked in.  Your feedback is honestly appreciated.  Color management is interesting stuff and I am going to continue reading the book for whatever enlightenment it offers, not that I will ever use most of it.

Jpegman

-- hide signature --

"If you are among those who believe that it has all been done already and nothing new can be achieved, you've murdered your own artistry before ever letting it live. You abort it in its fetal state. There is much that has yet to be spoken in art and composition and it grows with the passage of time. Evolving technologies, world environments and ideologies all drive change in thoughts, passion and expression. There is no way that it can all ever be done already. And therein lies the venue for the creative artist, a venue that is as diverse as the universe is unmapped and unexplored." - Quote from FlyingLentris
~
flyinglentris in LLOMA

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow