External microphone and focus noise using FTZ adapter +F-mount lens?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
DDavis1 Regular Member • Posts: 298
Re: External microphone and focus noise using FTZ adapter +F-mount lens?

Stef_H wrote:

DDavis1 wrote:

If you're using a shotgun on-camera mic, you should be okay. I use a Rode VideoMicro and it's fine, so a true shotgun to be a bit cleaner.

But as others have said, it depends on the lens. The 50mm 1.8g is loud af as it auto focuses. The 85mm 1.8g is nice an quiet. I'll next test it with the Tamron 24-40 2.8 G2 and see if it picks that up.

This post has been done a while ago but I would be very curious about your result on the Mic pickup of the focusing noise on the Z6 + Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2. I am thinking a lot about going for this combination but if the focusing noise is picked up by a on camera shotgun mic I might re-consider. Have been trying to find information online but wasn't to lucky.

Would Love to hear your verdict and maybe other additional thoughts on the Z6 + Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2.

I have since traded it in for the Sigma 24-105mm f/4 because it's a more useful focal length for my needs.

However, I did test it out and it was quiet when hot/cold shoe mounted on the Z6 with the FTZ adapter. It's for the most part a reasonably quiet lens to begin with. When using the Rode VideoMicro (smaller shotgun mic), you can pick up subtle focus noise if you raise your camera preamp/gain too high. I used the enclosed dead cat wind screen to help cut down the higher frequency lens focusing noise.

Using the Rode VideoMic Go (longer shotgun mic), lens focus noise is better controlled. I use the dead cat windscreen on this mic as well.

Comparing the noise between the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 vs the Sigma 24-105 f/4, I'd out them both at about the same. If you're in an enclosed quiet space, you'll pick up the focus noise. This can be minimized by setting the Z camera microphone preamp levels to no louder than 10 (which is in the middle of the gain range) for outdoor or noisey environments. If in a quiet setting, lower the level to about 7 or 8.

Nikon's 50mm 1.8G = LOUD AF!!!

Nikon 85mm 1.8G = Much quieter than the 50mm, but can be heard.

Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 = Quieter than Nikon's 85mm prime.

Sigma 24-105mm f/4 = Quieter than Tamron's 24-70 2.8.

DDavis1's gear list:DDavis1's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow