Too niche

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
Keithpictures
OP Keithpictures Regular Member • Posts: 431
Re: Too niche

PentaxNick wrote:

Keithpictures wrote:

Daniel Branco wrote:

My dream is a tough ricoh GRIII, same price and size, but tough, I said dream.

I agree that a tough GR III would be amazing! Why is it so far-fetched?? Surely it's technically possible. Would it really be so cost-prohibitive to the company? Wouldn't lots of GR fans welcome extreme protection??

A tough, or at least weather sealed GRIII would be great, but wouldn’t be usable underwater due to the extending lens. If the extension was fixed it wouldn’t be pocketable.

Any camera with a lens that extends, either at startup or for zooming or focusing cannot be used underwater. The space taken by the collapsed lens needs to be filled with something, normally air, but underwater that isn’t available. I suppose a camera could have a motor strong enough to create a vacuum but the seals would have to be strong enough too, so not practical in a consumer device.

If the sensor size was increased a folded lens would also increase in size as the focal length would increase, and the camera would quickly become much larger. So a 1inch sensor TG would probably be too large.

The current TG is probably the best compromise possible.

The GR3 is very small. I'm not familiar enough with it, so I'm just thinking out loud: how much portability would really be sacrificed if the lens didn't retract? What if it stayed extended, and was then weather-sealed?

I'm more of a Fuji X100F fan myself, so extreme compactness isn't necessary for me. The X100F lens also technically extends while focusing, but not as dramatically as the GR3. Somewhere between these cameras, it seems entirely conceivable to throw some coating on, seal the openings and make a tough version. Well, obviously it's possible because the DC2000 exists. Isn't that one pocketable?

Keithpictures's gear list:Keithpictures's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Apple iPhone 11 Pro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow