The AFMA myth.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Distinctly Average Contributing Member • Posts: 601
Re: The AFMA myth.

BirdShooter7 wrote:

My take on the original post was that the OP didn’t approve of forum members suggesting AFMA until after every other remedy has been exhausted. I’m sure that works for him but I don’t think it is really appropriate to suggest that AFMA is rarely needed or that it is something that should be done with trepidation or as a last resort. Personally, checking calibration is the first thing I do when I mount a lens on a body for the first time. That way I can immediately be sure that any soft photos aren’t due to poor calibration of the lens or body. It’s an easy way to narrow down potential issues.

It’s sort of like when you buy a rifle. Do you sight it in first or do you just take it out of the box and start shooting?

I disapprove of members suggesting AFMA without evidence or actually gauging the experience of the poster. This for sure is a technical forum, but does attract a lot of users who do not have the experience or knowledge to understand what may or may not be causing their problems. They ask for help, and receive advice well above their level and quite often incorrect advice.

You know what you are doing. You have been taking great images for years. You know when you have messed up when taking a shot and you know what to expect from your kit in given situations. Not everyone has the years of experience as a base and I think many of us forget that.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow