Sony RX100M6 - a change of mind!

Started Sep 30, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
saudidave Senior Member • Posts: 2,272
Sony RX100M6 - a change of mind!

Having bought an RX100M6 4 months ago I subsequently concluded that the handling was crap, the pop up viewfinder was crap, the tilting / folding LCD was crap, the touch screen was crap ( misnamed also!) and finally the menu was crappiest of all. I then declared it was going on ebay.

Due to the M6 prices on ebay dropping like a stone after the M7 was announced I prevaricated about my intentions and then yesterday I gave it one last chance and had a couple of hours at Ramsbottom railway station in Lancashire U.K. where I did 100 or so comparison shots with my Panasonic GM5 (Micro 4/3rds) which was fitted with a 14-140 lens and thus provided a 28-280mm range.

I reviewed all of the days shots last evening whilst quaffing a fine bottle of Sauvignon and I've changed my opinion of the camera. I reiterate my opening comments in this post but I have to say that the IQ is stunning, even SOOC jpegs. I'd say that for the most part the Sony resolves more detail than the Panasonic and the images are sharper. The Panny has a greater dynamic range as one would expect with a bigger sensor, but other than that the Sony wins.

I apologise to all for my haste and will try to learn to live with a camera that demands pressing physical buttons

For anyone remotely interested, the shots I took yesterday can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/418c6n2s9ijck2k/AABCggfAUwqSIi7f1A0UbWU2a?dl=0

I chose the venue because of the atrocious weather. I was able to shelter on the covered platform yet still take outdoor shots at a relatively photogenic location. And yes, the GM5 sensor does need cleaning.

Dave

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 II Apple iPhone 12 Pro +1 more
Canon EOS M6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow