Great, but there is a but...

Started Sep 28, 2019 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
47872Mike Regular Member • Posts: 210
Great, but there is a but...

This review relates only to my use of the lens on a 6D full-frame camera.
Sharpness and contrast are excellent right from f2.8, with the exception of very extreme corners. It's well-made and doesn't have that annoying play found in the focusing mechanism of many cheaper Canons, so it is capable of focusing consistently where the camera wants it to...unlike, for example, the 50/1.8 II I used.
It doesn't acquire focus particularly quickly, but it isn't slow enough for that to be a massive issue.
What is looking like it might be a massive issue is the curved field. Not because in itself it affects most real-world images (although it does presumably contribute to the unsharpness of extreme corners), but specifically because if you use centre focus and recompose, as many 6D owners do, you are likely to get a lot of very blurred shots.
Obviously it's possible to work around this, but it seems annoying having to remember to work differently when shooting with this lens. I was hoping to be able to use it for environmental and maybe other portraits, but I'm not sure it's worth changing the way I shoot and avoiding centre focus/recompose. In fact I know it isn't.

47872Mike's gear list:47872Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Sony SLT-A37 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Prime lens • Canon EF • 6310B002
Announced: Jun 8, 2012
47872Mike's score
Average community score
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow