Slightly disappointed with upgrade to XH1 and 16-80 f4

Started Sep 28, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Beats Working New Member • Posts: 10
Slightly disappointed with upgrade to XH1 and 16-80 f4

Hi, I'm new to the forum and pretty new to photography as well. I caught the bug using my iPhone and purchased my first camera 12 months ago, an XT20 / XC16-50 kit. Since then I've been teaching myself the basics and forcing myself not to use auto!

The XT20 massively exceeded my expectations and was obviously a huge jump from the IPhone. However, it had some limitations (mainly small size, lack of stabilisation with my 35 f2, lack of weather sealing - which is a big deal in the UK).  A couple of weeks ago I traded it in for an XH1 because I couldn't walk past the current deals.

This morning I managed to get a copy of the new 16-80 f4 to replace my XC16-50. I was really excited to try it out with the XH1 and expected to see a noticeable step up from my original kit.

Nope.

Not really sure what it is but not really getting the wow factor. The light was pretty challenging and I think the XH1 IBIS was a tad better than the IOS on the XC lens. But overall most of the pictures weren't any better than I'd have got on the old set up.

I know new kit won't make me a better photographer over night, I know the XH1 and XT20 use the same sensor (so was never going to be a giant leap like the XT20 was) and I know I've literally only had 2 hours with the new kit in pretty challenging conditions.

I will give it time but I am a bit anxious that there's something wrong - did I get a bad copy of the camera or more likely a bad copy of the new lens?

I've attached a few photos from this afternoon's session - would really appreciate any views and advice from the forum, especially from anyone more experienced than me who has been able to shoot with the 16-80 f4 over the last few days. Is what I'm getting out of it what you'd expect to see?

Thanks in advance

Steve

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow