The principle problem with "classical" digital imaging

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 21,273
14n did not use a CCD

FDecker wrote:

ascotinitaly wrote:

Frank,

Yes, you are right in a literal sense. I didn't explain myself very well- what I was getting at is that /to my eyes/ ccd sensors give/gave a /very/ film-like result...and Bayer /still/ isn't there. And had they benefitted from the extra decade or so of development that cmos has enjoyed, I'm convinced that ccd would be the superior technology by now. But this comes from someone who also writes, paints, builds etc so I'm not part of the growing number of shooters who can't remember choosing not cameras, but /film/. I enjoyed your post and welcome any technology that brings more accurate, richer color with better separation and "3d", whatever you want that to mean....

Have a great weekend

I am with you. CCD sensors have advantages. I think the most important one is a more even conversion of light intensity into voltage and finally digital information (in the sense of spatial evenness). This is due to non-local conversion whereas CMOS uses local conversion.

In the beginning of digital photography, the was no question about the superiority of CCD over CMOS. As far as I understand, nowadays, the gap has been closed or even more than closed.

Thank you for your comments.

Have a great weekend as well,

Frank

The Kodak 14n didn't use a CCD - it was the first full frame sensor and the first full frame CMOS sensor. It was also an appalling quality sensor with terrible noise and colour shading issues and was very quickly replaced by the somewhat improved 14nx module /SLRn sensor.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
dlj
dlj
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow