Firmware 1.4.0 is up

Started Sep 25, 2019 | Discussions thread
gilliano Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: Firmware 1.4.0 is up

I downloaded this and ran over to the local wetlands to try it out with the 100-400 ii. First up- the EVF lag is pretty much gone, thank god.

Tracking- I considered the original tracking AF on the R unusable for wildlife. This wasn't a huge deal, I think most wildlife people use some combo of single shot/ group AF. But with this update? The tracking is stupidly good. It felt like cheating.

It was evening and I was on the wrong side of the light but I easily tracked everything I pointed it at. It isn't infallible- it did lose some stuff and getting the single AF point locked on to a fast flying bird is, um, hard. But I also easily captured tons of action including diving and reappearing birds without it switching to another bird (!), a very respectable sequence of a woodpecker in thick brush and lots of fast flying birds against a busy background. It did very well with flocks and dramatically changing light from frame to frame. And it was fun to use. I'm happy.

AND.......... the AF appears to work in high speed continuous? Looking at the EXIF I was getting 3fps in low and 6fps in high with AF and AE. I don't think it's supposed to do this? But it seems to.

gilliano's gear list:gilliano's gear list
Canon EOS M5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow