Best tele zoom lens for E-PL6?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OutsideTheMatrix
OP OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 5,038
Re: Best tele zoom lens for E-PL6?

burritosandbeer wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

Hi all, I am looking around for the best tele zoom lens I can get for my E-PL6 that can do tight birding shots as well as take pics of Saturn's rings and Jupiter's bands. I have a Fuji HS50 with a manual zoom lens that performs well but doesn't get me as close as I need to get even though it has a 1000mm equiv. lens. I got a 1.7x Sony TC for it (HGD1758) but the images are a bit soft with that so I would like a long tele for my E-PL6 that still opens up to f/5.6 at max even at full tele. Any ideas on what would be a suitable lens? I already have the 14-42 and 40-150 lens. I want something longer than that.

So I have run a EPL6 with a Panasonic 100-300 sometimes, the hard parts though on that setup are

1. Handling. Its very much a case of the tail wagging the dog, you hold the lens, and the body is just along for the ride. You can render quite nice results, but while doing it you cant help but feel its just the wrong tool for the job.

2. Shutter shock. It takes some serious effort to not get blurry shots due to shutter shock on that setup. The shutter in the EPL6 feels like a hammer blow when it triggers on the 100-300 at full extension, and you have to work hard on your technique to not have it mess up your pics.

This was shot, about 40 yards away, straight out of camera

f/5.6@300MM

iso 800 and 1/25s shutter speed

this was approaching sunset and was the best of the batch I got.

If you want to do astronomy stuff with your EPL6, I would suggest a telescope and adapter for m43, I don't have much experience in that field, but I think you'd be better suited than your native lenses, for wildlife, you certainly can, but its hard to do so and not find yourself thinking "This is the wrong tool for this job". Personally I find I get better results with a Panasonic G7 and the electronic shutter.

Thanks!  Shutter shock and weight of the system have been issues for me too!  With what shutter speeds did you find that you didn't have to deal with shutter shock on the EPL-6?  Does setting a shutter delay help?  I have it set to 1/4 sec.

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow