90D RAW only burst count

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 1,376
Re: 90D RAW only burst count

DavidArmenPhoto wrote:

Also keep in mind that although you may see a certain number Of shots available in the OVF, the camera begins writing to the SD card from it’s buffer almost immediately after you start shooting.
So as you shoot, ur camera is also transferring the photos from the buffer to the SD card simultaneously. So even thought it might show 15, you will get much more than that if you use a high speed uhs-ii card because the buffer will unload data to the card at a faster rate, giving it more room for new photos coming in.

Edit: For example, I just tried a quick test to get an example for you. I shot a relatively dark simple scene Raw at iso100 1/250 f4 and the camera was giving a burst count of 24 in the OVF. I am using a UHS-I Sandisk Extreme Pro with a tested average write speed of 88MB/s. I put the camera on continuous high and didn’t let go of the shutter until the camera slowed down at which time I let go immediately. I got 35 shots from that burst with the photos averaging about 27MB each. I believe I will get a higher rate with a UHS-II card with write speeds over 200MB/s even though the camera will still likely show a burst rate of 24 or 25.

I've found using AI-Servo on my EOS R at a pedestrian 5FPS and C-RAW, you double (or more) your buffer when going from the fast SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I (around 90mb/sec write to your point) to a fast UHS-II card (around 200mb/sec write)

At faster FPS, say 10FPS, it's going to depend if you use C-RAW or not. If you use standard RAW, your about 1GB buffer will fill so fast at 10FPS, not sure it's going to make more than say a frame or two difference going from your UHS-I to a UHS-II just due to the sheer speed in which your buffer will fill it doesn't matter how fast you can dump it.

But, if using C-RAW, you should see a more significant bump in total buffer if you jump to UHS-II as C-RAW will fill your buffer at a rate your UHS-II can actually do some lifting for you before the internal buffer fills.

The one big difference between UHS-I and UHS-II though, if using the fastest of both available, is UHS-II will clear your buffer in half the time in any event.

So in summary, if you plan to use 10FPS and want the largest buffer, use C-RAW and get a fast UHS-II card. If otherwise? You might be best served staying where you are (UHS-I) as it's not going to make a large difference.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow