Wide gamut monitor and photo/video editing.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Mihle Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: Output for web vs. printing

Chris Noble wrote:

Mihle wrote:

Firstly, it seems like for photos, Adobe RGB is the next step up from sRGB usually. While video it is DCI-P3 (that is smaller).

If I get a monitor that is wide gamut, capable for probably about DCI-P3 but not Adobe RGB. For example Philips 328E1CA or BenQ EW3270U.

Wouldnt photo editing and video editing for YouTube be a problem to have colours look right fort others? Or do YouTube support that?

Could also go for LG 27UK650 or something tho but I don't know....

Btw I am very hobbyist if even that.

Mihle,

You can process and look at and print an image in a color space that is bigger than sRGB.

But when you output it for the web, you should output it to the sRGB color space.

So get a wide-gamut monitor if you want, you can still output and display sRGB files on it.

I hope that answers your question.

In answers it more than others here.

But some questions on that.

If I have a video that is whatever comes out of Fuji camera (sRGB or rec.709 or whatever) and put it in to the video editing program for example Davinchi Resolve, is there something built in that program that knows, or I can tell it, that the monitor is closer ish to DCI-P3 than sRGB (well, let's for this purpose say it was exactly DCI-P3), so that the output looks the same on a just sRGB monitor as it does inside the video editor on the DCI-P3 monitor?

(The output doesn't have to look the same on both, just the output on sRGB one and timeline on DCI-P3 one)

If that make any sense.

Or do I understand it wrong and that is not needed?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow