Too niche

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Senior Member • Posts: 2,719
Re: Too niche

smithaa02 wrote:

I still think Olympus does not communicate this well.

I just did some tests on my TG-6 with aperture priority. I toggled between between F 2.8 and F 8.0. The latter if of course the fake "aperture" and refers to the ND filter. For a random indoor shot, the ISO went from 640 > 1250. Ouch. Exposure time went from 1/30th of a second to 1/8th of a second. Ouch.

And how would that change if the iris could stop down to f/8? Other than your f/8 shot would suffer decreased sharpness due to diffraction, the exposure would be the identical. Ouch!

ND filters block light...that is really all they do. A TG owner looking to reduce their DOF will be none the wiser that they are introducing significant noise and/or SS delays to their pictures.

Why wouldn't they be aware? You chose to use a smaller aperture and the remaining exposure parameters have to compensate. Shutter speed must become longer and/or ISO must increase. Do you actually believe people don't understand this? You can manually set a fixed ISO value. Unless SS moves into long exposure territory, there will be no change in noise level.

More noise usually means more NR which usually means smudged images. Slower SS usually means more motion blur which obviously will create softer images as well.

Again, noise is dependent on ISO and the photographer can control that. If you stop aperture down, you should expect SS to decrease. If you need to freeze some sort of fast action, logic dictates shutter speed should take precedent over increased DOF. This is were user skill helps determine the proper exposure parameters for any given scene. And for small sensor cameras, you have limited control over DOF.

I think this is a common mistake that even BackScatter made. They made a big deal about using the smaller aperture value in AP mode and they didn't realize how much noise/motion blur it would add to their images.

Two years ago I stopped at the Backscatter store in Monterey. They definitely have some great photographers. I don't know why they continue making this mistake. The TG series is clearly not their primary interest.

They often use multiple high power strobes and mostly avoid high ISO low shutter speed problems. But a few of their examples would have benefited from dropping the ND filter. Maybe someone will eventually drop a clue on their staff.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow