Too niche

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
smithaa02 Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: Too niche

Keithpictures wrote:

There are other issues with a larger sensor. They will be more expensive, have worse DOF, have inferior focus, worse frame rates and can cook when shooting high frame rate video. For us macro shooters, a one inch sensor for the TG series would spell big problems.

It's not clear to me why a larger sensor would invite all the problems you listed.

I'm not why...but bigger sensors tend to mean more expensive cameras. Maybe it has to do with the optics. The DC2000 is one of the most expensive UW cameras at $700, while the TG-5/6 runs at $450.

DOF is an issue because to fill the frame you have to zoom in or get closer...this increases the angle at which light hits the sensors which hurts DOF. In theory you could crop a big sensor to get the benefits of a little sensor...but in practice this doesn't work well and you are wasting resources (sensor size/optics) if you crop.

Most of the speed/heat issues that occur with big sensors actually tend to correlate more with MP count. Bigger sensors usually mean more pixels. The TG-5/6 run at 12 MP and the DC2000 at 20 MP. Those extra MP's are very taxing when the camera needs to do complicated post-processing durint burst and/or video.

Macro and focus mostly suffer with big sensors because of the smaller DOF. But because it is easier for small sensors to zoom and use ring flashes, that helps with macro too.

Users of the DC2000 have observed a 2-3 second delay between images which can be up to 4-5 seconds when shooting raw. From the sample images I've seen of the DC2000, the dynamic range and brightness haven't seem that great.

Yes, I've heard similar about the DC2000 shooting delay, which scares me off. But I do wonder if I could actually stomach it... maybe. It might actually slow me down, which suits my style. The IQ issues are less forgivable. The pictures you show offer an interesting comparison.. I suppose I'd have to say they're inconclusive. But the point seems clear: the DC2000 IQ advantage definitely isn't obvious.

I suspect the Sony RX100 cameras are light years better than the DC2000. You might consider an underwater housing or even a cheaper waterproof wrap.

It's been my observation that TG-5 images seem a bit softer and over-exposed compared to TG-6 images. Still....sharp results should be obtainable. By chance can you share the camera settings you use? The post processing techniques you use?

Well, I shot probably 75% RAW 25% JPG. Mostly shot in Program mode, mostly at ISO 100. I might have fiddled with Aperture priority a bit, and auto a bit. I mislabeled my captions - the f-stop fluctuated drastically, as did shutter speed. For post processing in Lightroom, I corrected geometry, sharpened and de-noised details, used the dehaze slider more than usual (in the positive direction), and added contrast. I also adjusted color a lot, sometimes adding blue, sometimes yellow. Generally the originals were too green for me.

I am happy to have almost 200 keepers (over five days and thousands of shots) - definitely worthwhile to capture images I otherwise would've been without. But I can't help but wonder if there's a better way for me, personally.

I won't completely defend the TG-5 here...I'll agree it has some shortcomings. But there might be some easy ways to improve your images.

ND Filter: In several cases you accidentally selected the "max aperture" which actually uses an internal ND Filter. This will block light which can noise/motion blue (and indirectly noise reduction). I'm a bit horrified that Olympus put their ND filter on as an AP option...and max aperture a that.  This should have been designed differently.

Noise Reduction: I can't tell from your images what you set it at, but for my TG-6 outdoor shoots, Noise Filter > Standard is too smudged...while Noise > Filter Off is too grainy. I do like Noise Filter > Low though. PP denoising for some is of course a better option.

Camera Shake: Several of your images are a tad soft. Even in good light I find it easy to accidentally introduce a little trigger shake to the image. I find custom timer > 1 second is an effective way to get crisper images. Portable tripods or gorillapods can significantly help with image quality as well.

Geometry: I'm not sure you always want to adjust this as it can soften the spots in the photos where the warping adjustments are made. This can be a big deal for just 12 MP images. I know the TG-6 uses this sparingly and it seems like the camera won't do internal geometry corrections if it doesn't need to.

EV: It sounds like with you use dehaze a lot (which I love too) but that is likely a sign that you are over-exposing. The TG-5 is known to over-expose in outdoor scenes and you might want to play with dark EV values. I know this is somewhat correctable in PP, but I think it helps to get the photo close to right to start with.

Color: It's curious that your shots error on the green side. The TG-6 seems to error on the red side. At any rate, you might play with the WB to see if getting this right in camera helps with the later PP edits. The presets work well on the TG-6 (I use sunny a lot), and of course there are custom kelvin and OTWB options.

Image Stabilization: I can't tell from your images if this is off or not...but turning it on is definitely a good thing that can make images more crisp. Still IS > On .

The TG-6 IMO tends to have slightly crisper, darker images than the TG-5 and perhaps even less noise. I'm not a UW shooter myself, but I do like to shoot a lot of outdoor scenes from a kayak. At times I wish the TG-6 had more than 12 MP, but generally speaking I've been happy with the default color/contrast/sharpness with little to no PP. The following is a Flickr Gallery of outdoor shots (no macros):

https://www.flickr.com/gp/162931725@N08/Qtnwdi

My "setting recipe" tend to be:

• Mode: Program
  • Picture Mode: I-enhance > low
  • Noise Reduction: low
  • White balance: Auto for overcast or close-ups...sunny for open scenes with sunshine
  • Drive Mode: Custom Delay > 1s
  • Keep Warm Colors On: off
  • Still IS: On
  • Face Priority: Off
  • Jpg Quality: Max
  • EV: About 50% of the time -0.3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow