Z6 vs A7R2

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
backsidewalkaround Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: Z6 vs A7R2

Photodog2 wrote:

I am thinking of adding either a Nikon Z6 or a Sony a7R mark 2 to my bodies. I'm not replacing anything just adding to my A7mark 2. I shoot mainly adapted SLR manual focus lenses particularly in Minolta SR, Pentax K and M42 mounts.

Anyone have any experience with all 3 bodies or with the Nikon Z6 in comparison to the Sony bodies? Will it have any advantage versus the Sony bodies? I've heard mention of a thinner filter stack. Will having the 42mp of the A7r2 make old SLR lenses better or will the extra resolution just be wasted?

I recently upgraded to the A7R III from the A7 and was also thinking about a Nikon Z6/7, but for me it was different: I wanted AF back and was interested in the 42 MP which I think should be used with the best possible results. Also I already had three native Sony lenses.

I think with using vintage Minolta, Pentax and other lenses the 42 MP of the A7R II will not be used to the fullest extent. On the other hand: The images with vintage glass will also look sharper and have more detail than before, in part of the thinner filter stack, just not as much as they could be.

The Z6 on the other hand is supposed to be better in terms of image quality with vintage lenses (so says a friend of mine with a Z7 who will not turn back - check out Matt's crazy lens adventures - he really knows what it means to use vintage glass). Also the viewfinder is supposed to be better - you can focus more easily just by looking at the image. I've tried a Z7 for one afternoon and it was great - I'm not sure about the Z6, though.
I hope this helps a little, even though I can't recommend any of them first hand.

backsidewalkaround's gear list:backsidewalkaround's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow