A7iii vs A7Riii

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
kolyy Senior Member • Posts: 1,089
Re: A7iii vs A7Riii

SafariBob wrote:

andrewD2 wrote:

in a camera, each “pixel” contains just one color. Hence the pixel in a camera is comparable to a sub pixel in a display. For each full color site, there are 2 green, one red and one blue in a camera.

thus an 8k display contains 32 “camera” pixels, which are actually 24 rgb sub pixels.

in order to make the effect of pixels, interpolation, etc negligible, you need to oversample.

No, I'm not the one confused here.
Yes, the Bayer array is there on the camera sensor meaning you get RGGB per 4 pixels.
So ok, if you want to bin each 4 RGGB pixels to a superpixel you get ONE factor of 4 in your calculation. Bayer interpolation is better than that but OK, lets run with the x4 factor for the SENSOR array.
Your OTHER subpixel screen factor is bogus. However many subpixels the screen uses to be able to show ONE image pixel we group those subpixels together in the same way
and call each, well, we just call it "a pixel".

By your calculations you'd need a 683MP camera for an 8K screen. Your calculation is off by a factor that doesn't exist.
Andrew

You need to oversample. The cameras correct for optical aberrations etc.

4x (which effectively is 1x) is probably fine, but what i am saying is that 16x (which is effectively 4x) probably is sufficient to outresolve any pixel issues in all by the most extreme cases.

Why do you think film was mastered in 4K before being transferred to 1080p blueray? Why does 70mm exist? Why do film studios shoot in 6k or beyond when cinemas are 4K? This is moving image, where resolution is much less discernible.

those are rhetorical questions. No need to answer. And forgive me if I don’t. Read my original post. Nothing there is wrong or controversial.

Edit: when I bought my first dslr, it was 6mp, people were making the same arguments back then. My second was 12mp. It’s blatantly obvious with today’s equipment which is which. And that’s part of it too, you keep your images for life presumably, and it’s a bit sad when the resolution just isn’t there. Not always. Sometimes a less resolved picture has more ambiance. Photographers frequently add grain in post. But storage is so cheap these days, do your efforts justice and capture what you can.

I wonder if you have ever tried what argue for in real life. I crop images down to 8Mpx quite regularly and it is very hard to pick out an 8Mpx image among 24Mpx ones, when viewing on a UHD screen. Bayer interpolation works very well indeed. Granted, if you magnify the image way beyond normal viewing, you can find artifacts, compared to an oversampled image.

As for video, there is an advantage in oversampling, but it is much smaller than you think. Try to compare an oversampled 4K video from the A7III with the one without oversampling from an APS-C crop (choose "4K APS-C" from the drop down list for the A7 III on the right):

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=sony_a7iii&attr29_1=sony_a7iii&attr29_2=sony_a7riii&attr29_3=sony_a7sii&attr72_0=4k&attr72_1=4k-apsc&attr72_2=4k&attr72_3=4k&normalization=full&widget=602&x=-0.1486276679678514&y=-0.5674316472873174

kolyy's gear list:kolyy's gear list
Canon G9 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7 III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow