Recommendation for a great photo printer ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,163
Re: I use a Canon Pro-100

Meetmer wrote:

Michael Gebauer wrote:

Meetmer wrote:

I RodandEva wrote:

I also have the pro-9000 Ii, upgraded to the Canon Pro-1000, which produces awesome prints. I found a deal at the time with canon rebate and loads of canon photo paper...whatever printer you chose, try to find rebates in which the printer costs about as much (or less) as buying full set of ink. Canon pro 100, 10 and 1000 are all offering rebates right now.

How would you rank those three canon printers?

Here you can compare these site by site

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/list/professional-large-format-printers/professional-inkjet-printers/professional-inkjet-printers

1) Pro 1000

2) Pro 10

3) Pro 100

When buying a Pro 1000, you should be aware that

- it is very large and heavy.

- it provides an excellent quality for fireart prints incl. brilliant b/w capabilities.

- you choose the right papers (e.g. luster or finart papers)

- you should have some experience with color management

- it makes sense, if you regularly print.

Best regards, Michael

I just read the amazon verified reviews of the pro 10 and pro 100 and they are not reassuring. Many many frustrated people. It’s giving me pause.

Like Jerry our mod I too have been using the Pro-100 for several years and purchased it for $99 after the rebate. I also had the S9000 and the 9900 prior and there have been subtle improvements if you stand back and view the prints at several feet but big improvements if you care to look closely at details. The Pro-100 also does a nice job with B&W prints where both the S9000 or i9900 were poor in that regard.

I use mine with a MacBook Retina and have no issues with color management and it is not profiled. I doubt color management is an issue for the vast majority of applications unless you're doing commercial work where color has to be spot on. For personal printing I'd not waste the time.

One issue I have is the head cleaning if you've not used the printer for a while. Trying to print after it's been idle for a few days the printer will first perform a head cleaning (all inkjets do) but it takes sometimes several minutes before the paper is loaded and you know it's consuming ink while doing so. As Jerry said the ink is expensive but there are third party suppliers but I've never tried them. This company is one I've checked out and did receive a detailed response regarding their tests for color accuracy and longevity but again, I have no personal experience with their products. I used to use the Pro-100 as my sole printer but because of the ink expense I bought a cheap Brother all in one Laser for routine B&W printing as it's cost per page is a fraction of the Canon's.

Overall I've been very satisfied with the printer for color work.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow